We’ve listed 10 healthy snacks recipes you’ll love as well as 5 simple tips to conquer your cravings and snack the smart way.Snack Smart: 5 Simple Tips
It’s 3 pm and you’re hungry. Now what? Skip the deep-fried potato chips stashed away in your kitchen cupboard, and reach for a healthy snack instead. Nutritionist and Weight Management Expert, Gargi Sharma says, "Snacking prevents you from overeating later in the day, and actually boosts your metabolism which in turn, triggers weight loss and keeps your energy levels high. It is also an effective way to add extra nutrients in the diet which are usually missing from our daily food intake". Eat something that won’t sabotage your weight-loss plans, especially if you still want to fit into your favourite pair of denims. Grab a whole grain cracker and dig into some guacamole packed with nutrients, or slather an apple with mouth-watering peanut butter. You can even spruce up a bowl of oatmeal with dark chocolate and berries… Umm, yum!
To avoid scarfing down an entire plate of nachos or a pint of chocolate chip ice cream before calling it a night, we give you the ultimate cheat sheet.
1. Rule number one for sticking to healthy
snacks? Do not get bored. Our ideas all fit the grade in terms of nutrition
, but they’re a lot more creative than—snooze—a handful of almonds.
2. "The frequency of meals is very important since it maintains your metabolism and facilitates easy digestion. Snack every 2-3 hours in order to keep your metabolic rate stable," says Nutritionist Anshul Jaibharat.
3. Combine protein with carbohydrates, such as almonds with oranges. Carbs provide both your body and brain with energy, plus protein-packed foods help keep you full because they take more time to break down in the body.
4. Do NOT munch mindlessly. Studies show that snacking and multitasking is a surefire way to pack on some pounds. If you eat without any distractions, including the TV on full blast, you tend to feel more satisfied and actually eat lesser the rest of the day.
5. Healthy eating
requires planning. Working
over 8 hours a day can make it difficult to snack healthy unless you plan ahead. Because let’s face it, first hunger strikes and then the guilt kicks in. Every Sunday, prepare for the week ahead. Perhaps make a batch of muffins or granola bars if you have some extra time on your hands.
Now who's hungry? Here's a list of our 10 best healthy snacks recipes that are nothing short of spectacular! We promise, you won't be disappointed.1. Bran Whole Wheat MuffinsRecipe by Seema Chandra
Why give up on muffins when you can now make them the healthy way? This recipe uses wheat bran cereal, whole wheat flour, low fat milk and brown sugar for the batter. And the best part? It substitutes the fat with freshly made apple sauce.
2. Lentil and Charred Broccoli ChaatRecipe by Chef Vicky Ratnani
Dinner’s at 8, but you just can’t wait? We’re here to help! Finish off some charred broccoli and a handful of fresh sprouts with a sweet and tangy olive oil dressing. Toss it up with some beans, potatoes and you’re good to go.
3. Oats Idli Recipe by Ramya Parameswaran
We've got yet another great surprise for your calorie-conscious friends! Make steamed idlis
with some roasted oats, grated carrots, chopped chillies and fresh coriander. A recipe that’s sure to draw recipe requests.
4. Three Bean ChaatRecipe by Chef Vicky Ratnani
All you have to do is toss up some kidney beans, chickpeas and green beans, and drizzle with a light dressing of olive oil, chaat masala and lemon juice.5. Ragi Cookies Recipe by Seema Chandra
Wondering how to keep your hand out of the cookie jar? You don’t need to! This healthy recipe is your new best friend. Crunchy, crumbly and calcium-rich, these cookies will leave your family reaching for another.
6. Mixed Millet Bhel PuriRecipe by Chef Daisy Malik
Low on fat and surprisingly healthy, dig into this snack made with the goodness of millets and ragi. You can even add half a cup of roasted peanuts and finish with a generous squeeze of lime.7. Elaichi Granola BarRecipe by Chef Aditya Bal & Devanshi
Our favourite go-to snack! A beautiful energy bar made with walnuts, oats, raisins, cardamom and sweetened with honey and brown sugar. High on fiber and protein, this recipe is a must try.
8. Fresh Corn BhelRecipe by Chef Niru Gupta
Corn spruced up with tangy chutney, chopped onions lemon juice and a handful of fresh coriander. A scrumptious evening snack even your guests will love!
9. Jowar MedleyRecipe by Seema Chandra
Cook up a storm with this healthy jowa
r medley filled with vegetables and packed with flavor. Enjoy a light snack, the guilt free way! All you have to do is take a cup of jowar
seeds and mix them up with ginger, corn, zucchini, pepper plus a dash of salt and pepper.
10. Banana Oat BreadRecipe by Padma Penmetsa
This delicious recipe makes for a great snack any time of the day! A bread winner, indeed. Low on carbs and packed with nutrients, our delectable banana and oat bread replaces all that is bad for you with all that's good.
For the latest food news, health tips and recipes, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.