1. Mix the cheese, salt and oil and knead into a stiff dough with the water.
2. Keep aside covered for at least half an hour.
3. Roll out dough till it is 1/2 cm/ 1/8 inch thick and cut out into 3 cm/ 1 1/2 inch rounds with a cutter or into strips 3 inch long and 1/2 inch broad. Prick with a fork.
4. Heat the oil till a piece of dough dropped in comes up at once.
5. Then add as many pieces as fit in comfortably.
6. Lower the heat to medium.
7. Fry till golden brown on both sides. Lift out of the oil and drain on an absorbent paper,
8. Repeat with the rest of the dough, increasing the heat for a few seconds before adding the fresh lot.